Field Applications Engineer
Enphase - Fulltime - Eindhoven
Enphase Energy is using the innovation that made us the world leader in microinverter technology to transform energy generation and management forever.
We are one of the fastest growing and most dynamic Energy Systems Companies in the world. By combining the power of solar energy and the proven advantages of communications technology, Enphase Energy makes solar power systems productive, reliable, smart and safe - increasing the energy harvest of solar systems by up to 25 percent. Our microinverter system is profoundly changing the way solar systems function, and as a result, changing the solar industry itself.
As we continue our exciting growth, we are building teams with highly talented individual contributors and leaders who design, develop, and manufacture next generation energy technologies. Our work environment is fast-paced, fun, and full of exciting new projects.
Enphase is currently looking for a Field Applications Engineer (FAE). This position is a member of the Service & Support Group and is responsible for providing application engineering support to encourage the adoption of Enphase products in the commercial and residential market place. He/She is an experienced solar/photovoltaic engineer or electrical engineer. They will have a track record of delivering both single and three phase grid connected photovoltaic power plants, perhaps working as a design engineer for an installer/EPC. Industry knowledge of the solar PV market and technical knowledge of photovoltaic systems is essential.
This role will be a member of the EMEA FAE team, working alongside other FAEs based elsewhere in the region. The FAE team supports the EMEA Sales Teams to provide pre-sales technical support to our partners with a focus of helping drive sales while ensuring a high quality relationship with the customer’s technical resources.
In collaboration with Product Management the FAE will also manage Alpha and Beta product test sites in the EMEA region.
The FAE will be out of the office regularly to support Enphase Sales Account Managers in meetings, support OEM/distributor partners and, on occasion work directly with installers.
This position is based from the Enphase offices in Eindhoven and reports to the Senior Manager EMEA Service & Support.
Key areas of focus include:
- Pre-sales technical support for large deals including the development of documentation/best practices and coaching to ensure a high-quality design and minimal post sales technical support issues for customers in his/her region.
- Pre and post sales management of account engagements to ensure that comprehensive designs and installation plans are developed, communicated and managed to drive successful projects and on-going business growth and loyalty.
- Pre-sales technical support for commercial business and projects/deals including both broad based tool development (e.g. set designs and line diagrams, standard BOMs, etc) and customized/unique design support to ensure Enphase designs win and high quality designs that eliminate post-sales technical issues.
- Strong engagement and feedback/input to Product Management team on identified product/technical issues identified along with recommendations for product improvements and product management development of broad based market training and tools that address best practices and requirements (e.g. standard business tools).
- Close cooperation and alignment with EMEA Customer Support to enable a closed loop system on key/top technical and product related issues and ensure high levels of customer satisfaction, especially with top area installer accounts.
- Work with the Sales Managers to deliver the highest level of quality field/customer technical support, enabling project wins and ensuring highest levels of customer support.
- Work closely with sales team to determine appropriate prioritization of account/project opportunities relative to available technical resources and ensure close coordination and communication with the customer.
- Manage tasks in the SalesForce.com Opportunity pipeline to ensure that all identified/qualified projects get the proper and appropriate level of pre-sales design and technical support.
- Develop specific tools (design kits, BOMs, etc) for commercial business and provide customised/unique pre-sales technical support on larger, more complex commercial deals to ensure highest quality design.
- Work with OEM pre-sales technical support process to ensure proactive participation with OEM technical teams on test requirements, procedures, and plans to ensure Enphase is prepared and positioned to 'win' the business.
- Generate application notes for design & installation guidance.
- Collaborate closely with Product Management and Product Training on broad based technical tools and training and drive adoption through the sales team and distributors.
- Deliver occasional Technical Product Training to installers and distributors in a classroom seminar or online webinar environment.
- Support the delivery of Alpha and Beta product releases within the EMEA region, collaborating with Product Management, Customer Support, Engineering and Product Verification as appropriate.
- Act as sales focal point for input/feedback into Product Management on major product and technical issues and recommended solutions.
- Develop and lead closed loop process with Product Management, Customer Support and sales on all field pre sales related topics and issues.
- Fluent in Dutch (mandatory) & English
- Qualified to degree level in an appropriate engineering discipline or equivalent practical/industrial experience.
- 3 to 5 years experience of the design, specification & installation of PV systems. A blended track record of residential and commercial scale jobs including handling grid connection requirements, MW scale experience will be useful but not essential.
- Commercial and Residential photovoltaic system design experience, including DC string sizing/inverter matching with the use of inverter manufacturers proprietary tools.
- Experience of system simulation tools such as PVSyst, PVSol, Archelios or PVGIS to determine system kWh production together with an appreciation of how the simulation outputs are applied to financial modules to evaluate return on investment from a photovoltaic system.
- Knowledge of local electrical regulations, schemes and grid connection requirements such as NEN1010, NPR 5310, RGIE, etc.
- Networking and communication expertise and knowledge as it relates to powerline communication technologies and TCP/IP communication schemes in residential and commercial settings including firewalls.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout Netherlands, Belgium and at times elsewhere internationally as required to support needs of the business.
- Equally comfortable to operate on-site with a system installer or in a customer’s engineering design office.
The following are highly desirable:
- Additional European languages to a business level (German, French, ...)
- Professionally qualified Engineer or in the process of seeking professional qualification
- Knowledge on local solar photovoltaic incentive programs (Feed-in-Tariff, net metering)
- Experience of photovoltaic installation finance models
- CAD experience to create and edit mechanical and electrical designs (AutoCAD, Sketchup, Visio)